This is not a Shell website. You Can Be Sure Shell does not endorse or approve of this site, or its content. Royal Dutch Shell Plc threatened to take legal action in the event of publication. All bluster and bluff thus far. There are no subscription charges nor do we solicit or accept donations. It is a non-commercial entirely free to use website drawing attention to Shell’s toxic Nazi history. The Shell logo image with the white text used on this website, as per the above example, is in the public domain because its copyright has expired and its author is anonymous. It can be found on WIKIMEDIA COMMONS. Link to Shell’s own website: shell.com
ROYAL DUTCH SHELL FOUNDER SIR HENRI DETERDING, NAZI FINANCIER
NAZI HISTORY OF ROYAL DUTCH SHELL
Royal Dutch Shell conspired directly with Hitler, financed the Nazi Party, was anti-Semitic and sold out its own Dutch Jewish employees to the Nazis. Shell had a close relationship with the Nazis during and after the reign of Sir Henri Deterding, an ardent Nazi, and the founder and decades-long leader of the Royal Dutch Shell Group. His burial ceremony, which had all the trappings of a state funeral, was held at his private estate in Mecklenburg, Germany. The spectacle (photographs below) included a funeral procession led by a horse-drawn funeral hearse with senior Nazis officials and senior Royal Dutch Shell directors in attendance, Nazi salutes at the graveside, swastika banners on display and wreaths and personal tributes from Adolf Hitler and Reichsmarschall, Hermann Goring. Deterding was an honoured associate and supporter of Hitler and a personal friend of Goring.
Deterding was the guest of Hitler during a four-day summit meeting at Berchtesgaden. Sir Henri and Hitler both had ambitions on Russian oil fields. Only an honoured personal guest would be rewarded with a private four-day meeting at Hitler’s mountain top retreat.
Shell appeased and collaborated with the Nazis. The oil giant instructed its employees in the Netherlands to complete a form giving particulars about their descent, which for some, amounted to a self-declared death warrant. Shell used slave labour and was a close business partner in Germany of I.G. Farben, the notorious Nazi run chemical giant that also used slave labour and supplied the Zyklon-B gas used during the Holocaust to exterminate millions of people, including children. Shell continued the partnership with the Nazis in the years after the retirement of Sir Henri and even after his death. It was money generated on Shell forecourts around the world, profiteering from cartel oil prices, that funded the Nazi party and saved it from financial collapse. Evidence about Shell’s Nazi connections can be found in extracts from “A History of Royal Dutch Shell” Volumes 1 and 2 authored by historians paid by Shell, who had unrestricted access to Shell archives. There are 67 pages in total, so takes some time to download.
Photograph (full size here) shows a Swastika flag flying at the head office of Royal Dutch Petroleum, 30 Carel van Bylandtlaan, The Hague, during the Nazi occupation of the in World War II (From Image Database Hague Municipal)
Sir Henri Deterding (photograph above and oil painting below), the founder of the Royal Dutch Shell Group – known as “The Most Powerful Man in the World” – who became an ardent Nazi and financial supporter of Hitler and the Nazi party on behalf of his beloved company, Shell.
NAZI GERMANY NEWS NOW
HITLER & THE THIRD REICH
- Redmond theater’s COVID vaccine mandate-Nazi Germany comparison sparks controversy online September 16, 2021 2:25 am KTVZ - Oregon Rabbi calls it 'unfortunate'; theater owner apologizes, says it was 'not supposed to be mean' but 'provoke thought' REDMOND, Ore. (KTVZ) -- An email from Redmond's Odem Theater comparing the state's COVID-19 vaccine …
- Former neo-Nazi talks with son of Holocaust survivors - how to combat hate September 14, 2021 11:21 pm Jerusalem Post During the first week of his sabbatical year abroad in Ottawa, Canada in 1984, University of Haifa Prof. Gabriel Weimann watched the trial of Ernst Zündel from his television. After just arriving to spend the year learning about antisemitism in the media, …
- How Christian Dior was inspired to create Miss Dior by sibling who survived Nazi concentration camp September 6, 2021 7:18 pm Daily Mail It is a perfume which has become a global phenomenon, selling millions of bottles every year. When Miss Dior was first released in 1947, its creator Christian Dior had founded his eponymous fashion house just a year earlier. But although the Frenchman' …
- Naseeruddin Shah ‘Bluntly’ Calls Out ‘Big Budget Films’ For Their ‘Jingoistic Agenda’; Compares It With Nazi Era September 14, 2021 11:55 pm Outlook India Actor Naseeruddin Shah has called out big production houses, and said some of the recently released “big budget movies” had "jingoistic" elements. “They [films and makers] are also being financed, also promised a clean chit if they make movies …
- Biden's vaccine mandate is not a Nazi move. But this Arizona leader went there (again) September 14, 2021 4:48 pm The Arizona Republic All weekend long, I wondered who would be the first to go there. Which of Arizona’s leading lights would be the first to cry “Nazi” after President Joe Biden announced a vaccine mandate to try to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Would it be Sen. Kelly …
- A Nazi fashion salon run by female inmates in Auschwitz September 14, 2021 9:39 am Deutsche Welle Speaking from London, Lucy Adlington describes how she was browsing through archival documents from the 1930s and 1940s to learn about what it was like for women during the war. "I came across a reference to a fashion salon in Auschwitz, but there was …
- 'Absolutely appalling' - Christchurch partygoers slammed for 'ignorant' Hitler, Holocaust victim costumes September 14, 2021 1:30 am The New Zeland Herald A photo taken at a Christchurch party depicting a group of people apparently dressed as concentration camp victims surrounding an Adolf Hitler-inspired character. Photo / SuppliedA photograph of Christchurch partygoers dressed as concentration camp …
- Biden's vaccine mandate is a Nazi move? Yep, this Arizona leader went there (again) September 13, 2021 10:26 pm The Arizona Republic All weekend long, I wondered who would be the first to go there. Which of Arizona’s leading lights would be the first to cry “Nazi” after President Joe Biden announced a vaccine mandate to try to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Would it be Sen. Kelly …
- In 'Ravenous,' sugar, cancer and Hitler all converge September 12, 2021 11:18 pm Perham Focus - Minnesota What if, with the exception of smoking, the rise of cancer in modern society can be traced to something less complicated than DNA, radiation or chemicals in the air, food and water? What if tumor cells are common but their growth is determined by how we …
- A History of Royal Dutch Shell
- Adolf Hitler
- Alfred Donovan
- Alfred Rosenberg
- Ben van Beurden
- Bill Campbell
- Bing Crosby
- Business Ethics
- Business Principles
- Castle Dobbin
- Charlotte-Minna Knaack
- Corrib Gas Project
- Deutsche Gasolin A.G.
- Donald G. Lane
- Dr George Bell
- Dr. Erich Boeder
- Dr. John Huong
- Ed Vulliamy
- Eva Braun
- Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel
- Fritz De Kok
- General Alfred Jodl
- Groningen Earthquakes
- Hakluyt & Company
- Hauptmann Eckhardt von Klass
- Heinrich Himmler
- Hermann Göring
- Human Rights
- I.G. Farben
- IG Farben
- John Donovan
- John Donovan Ebook
- Joost Jonker
- Kelling Hall
- Luiten van Zanden
- Mein Kampf
- Michiel Brandjes
- Nazi Winter Help Organisation
- Niger Delta
- Nuremberg War Crimes Trials
- Oleg Mitvol
- Peter Voser
- Pieter Schelte
- Pieter Schelte Heerema
- President Putin
- Prince Bernhard
- Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
- Queen Wilhelmina
- Robert Finn
- Rominten Hunting Lodge
- Royal Dutch Petroleum Company
- Royal Dutch Shell
- Royal Dutch Shell Group
- Shell Oil
- Shell Reserves Fraud
- Shell Spying
- Sir Henri Deterding
- Sir Henri Deterding and the Nazi History Royal Dutch Shell
- Sir Henri Deterding Funeral
- Sir Mark Moody-Stuart
- Sir Philip Watts
- Slave labor
- Standard Oil
- Stephen Howarth
- Swastika flag
- The Angriff Nazi newspaper
- The Holocaust
- The Nazi Party
- The Nazis
- The Netherlands
- The Reichstag fire
- Volkischer Beobachter
- Walter C. Teagel
- World War 2
- Yes Men
- YOU CAN BE SURE OF SHELL
- Zyklon-B gas
OVER 500 EXTERNAL PUBLICATIONS CITING OUR SHELL WEBSITES
See our link list of over 500 articles by the FT, Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg, Forbes, Dow Jones Newswires, New York Times, CNBC etc, plus UK House of Commons Select Committee Hansard records, information on U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission website etc. all containing references to our Shell focussed websites, or our website founders Alfred and John Donovan. Includes TV documentary features in English and German, newspaper and magazine articles, radio interviews, newsletters etc. Plus academic papers, Stratfor intelligence reports and UK, U.S. and Australian state/parliamentary publications, also citing our Shell websites. Click on this link to see the entire list, all in date order with a link to an index of over 60 books also containing references to our websites and/or our activities.
John Donovan, the website owner
A head-cut image of Alfred Donovan (now deceased) appears courtesy of The Wall Street Journal.
Category Archives: Slave labor
This chapter deals with the role of Royal Dutch Shell as a contributor to the economy of Nazi Germany and financier of the Third Reich via its long-time Director General, Sir Henri Deterding. The funding was of a scale that led to Hitler paying homage to him as a great friend of the Germans. Sir Henri actively supported the rearmament of Nazi Germany. He was a generous friend that the Nazis tried to exploit even after his death.
Any major company in existence for over 100 years is bound to have some skeletons in the closet. In the case of Royal Dutch Shell, it arguably includes indirect responsibility for millions of deaths.
Several IG Farben directors were found guilty of war crimes arising from their actions during WW2. The firm manufactured large quantities of Zyklon-B gas used by the Nazis to kill millions of Jews at extermination camps during the Holocaust. Royal Dutch Shell was a business partner of I.G. Farben both in Germany and globally.
Prior to WW2, Royal Dutch Shell had been a business partner both internationally and in Germany, with I.G. Farben (Interessen-Gemeinschaft Farbenindustrie AG.
IG Farben was formed in 1925 from a number of chemical companies and became the largest chemical company in the world. Involved in war crimes during WW2, the company was seized by the Allies in 1945 and liquidated in 1952.
The photograph shows military uniforms worn by marching employees of the Shell German subsidiary, Rhenania-Ossag. A photograph on the next page shows swastika flags on display during a staff meeting. Rhenania-Ossag was part and parcel of the Nazi movement when the Shell Group was in undisputed full control of the company. A senior director was involved in Nazi military planning.
In 1935, Rhenania-Ossag (owned by Royal Dutch Shell) was Germany’s second-largest gas station company, with 16,363 petrol pumps and several refineries. There were active Nazi members in the workforce and management. It’s DG, Dr. Erich Boeder, was involved in Nazi military planning (oil production) on behalf of the company.
The Nazis presented considerable challenges to Royal Dutch Shell over control of its subsidiaries in occupied countries. The above caricature (and seated Nazi officer in the photograph) is a former Shell director, Hauptmann Eckhardt von Klass. He was the Verwalter (administrator) appointed by the Nazis to “exercise supervision over Group companies in occupied Europe.” See pages 80 and 81 from RDSH V2.
Before, during, and after World War 2, Royal Dutch Shell was the owner of companies located in Germany and Nazi-occupied Europe, including Rhenania-Ossag.
Another hammer blow for Shell. Evidence confirms that Shell fuelled the Nazi war machine
By John Donovan: 31 May 2021 (updated JULY 2021)A new book by James Marriott and Terry Macalister reveals the extent to which the oil company Royal Dutch Shell played a key role in Hitler’s war effort.
James Marriott is a writer and activist with three decades of knowledge of the oil sector. Terry Macalister is a freelance journalist and former energy editor of the Guardian.
As the author of the Kindle book published in 2016 – Sir Henri Deterding and the Nazi History of Royal Dutch Shell – I welcome the fact that other parties have reached the same basic conclusions as I did after studying much of the same evidence.
Based on that evidence I lunched a petition several years ago demanding that Royal Dutch Shell should apologise for antisemitic conduct and Nazi support
Shell will find it more difficult to dismiss the independent findings in the new book, including from an award-winning journalist.The following extracts are from a related article by opendemocracy.net headlined: Calls for Shell to apologise for ‘fuelling Nazi war machine’ EXTRACTS FROM THE RELATED ARTICLE BY Adam Ramsay
According to ‘Crude Britannia’, by James Marriott and Terry Macalister, at the outbreak of World War Two the Anglo-Dutch company “effectively divided into an Allied corporation and an Axis corporation”. The Nazi-supporting branch of Shell, called Rhenania-Ossag, “swung in behind the [German] government as the Nazi state began to invade other countries”.
Or as Shell’s official history states ‘Following Hilter’s annexation of Austria and Czechoslovakia, (Shell) Group managing directors sanctioned Rhenania-Ossag taking over Shell companies in those countries.’ The same process took place in Hungary, Yugoslavia and Greece after Germany took control of those states.
Shell’s German subsidiary, Rhenania-Ossag, fired all the Jewish members on its board in May and June 1933. The appointments to replace them included a member of the Nazi party. The official history states, “the far reaching changes to the Rhenania-Ossag board could not have taken place without the full consent of [Shell Central Offices… No questions of principle or moral judgements about the Hitler regime appear to have arisen.” Shell’s historians were not able to establish what happened next to these Jewish staff members.
Seven years later, after Germany invaded Holland, the Swastika flew outside Shell’s HQ in The Hague.
I was originally tipped off about Shell’s concern over its past toxic history by Shell internal communications never meant for my eyes.
Shell had advance sight of my book and my website ShellNaziHistory.com. Despite aggressive threats, bluster and a global spying operation, Shell took no legal action. No multinational giant would want to draw attention to its past association with Hitler and the Nazis.
NEW BOOK: Crude Britannia: How Oil Shaped a Nation
Publisher: Pluto Press; 1st edition (20 May 2021)
Some of the information about Shell’s collaboration with the Nazis covered on pages 19, 20, 21, 22 of the main book, and pages 352, 353 and 354 from the Notes section of the book: